Healthy Holiday Food That Everyone Will Love – Winter Salmon Kale SaladBy hire-up-staffing in The Wellness Program
By Health Coach Nick Deck
I had so much fun giving Hire Up Staffing healthy Thanksgiving recipes last month that I decided to share even more for Christmas! Each week until Christmas I will share a fun and healthy recipe that can be a delicious replacement for your traditional unhealthy holiday foods. Remember it is always fun trying new things so if you replace just one unhealthy holiday dish with a nutritious one, you are taking a huge step towards Happy Health!
Winter Salmon Kale Salad
- 3-4 leaves kale
- 1/2 cup smoked salmon, torn into small bits
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced (about 1/3 of a small pepper)
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 palmful pomegranate arils (seeds)
- 1/4 cup sprouted lentils (sprout your own lentils)
- 1 egg, poached or fried
- sprouted quinoa
- freshly ground black pepper
- for the vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar (I use raw coconut vinegar)
- 2 teaspoons raw honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt, to taste (begin with 1/4 teaspoon)
- For the salad: Remove the main stems from the kale leaves. Tear the leaves into small pieces and place in a bowl. Sprinkle with big pinch of salt and use your fingertips to massage the leaves, rubbing them gently until they turn a dark, bright green and become pliable and soft. Toss in the salmon, red bell pepper, green onions, pomegranate arils, and sprouted lentils. Spoon the salad onto a plate. Top with the egg, season with black pepper, to taste, and sprinkle the sprouted quinoa on top.
- For the vinaigrette: Place all ingredients in a tightly sealing jar and shake until well mixed. Drizzle over the salad.