5 Tips to Make Yourself Essential
So you have yourself a temporary job, congratulations! Now, it turns out you like the company you’re with and you would prefer to stay put. You have the opportunity to turn your temporary job into a long term position, and we’re going to show you how. Here are five ways to make yourself too good to let go.
1. Research Time – The more you know about the company you work for, the more you’ll be able to help them, it’s as simple as that! If you invest some of your time learning about who your company serves, it’s competitors, and any problems it may face, you’ll be able to showcase that knowledge when the time arises and prove that you’re worth keeping around.
2. Know The Brand – Beyond learning about who the company does business with and their competition, get to know who they are behind the scenes. Get to know their values, their brand, what they stand for, and how they conduct themselves as a business internally. The more you understand the company’s inner workings, the more you will seem to belong.
3. Be Flexible – You may have been brought on to perform a certain job, but you should be there to fill in any gaps where you may be needed. You could go from low man (or woman) on the totem pole, to an integral part of the team in a moment of need. Keep an eye out for ways to help and you may just find yourself signing on for good.
4. Network – Chances are if you make a friends and get to know the higher ups (no pun intended) in the company, they are going to have a hard time sending you back to the staffing agency. Make sure to spend some time with these people, going to lunch or company events with them will get you a long way when it comes to building a relationship. Plus, when you’ve built this relationship and have the opportunity to spend more time with these people, you’ll have a better opportunity to show off your best qualities.
5. Remember The Basics – You know the drill, don’t be late, dress professionally, be respectful and provide the company with quality work. Make sure you are always showing off your best side and people will take notice.