Who Says You Can't Have Pumpkin Pie And Still Be Healthy? A Gluten Free Recipe For YouBy hire-up-staffing in The Wellness Program
By now, I am sure you all know me! If not, I am Nick Deck a world Health Coach who works with Hire Up Staffing and it’s Wellness Program. My last few blog posts have been leading up to the exciting Holiday that is near, Thanksgiving! I thought it would be fun to replace some of your unhealthy traditional foods with yummy ones that are good for you. This week I am giving you a recipe for a healthy version of the classic pumpkin pie… with a dairy free option!
To make the Crust:
- 1 cup of almonds or pecans, finely ground in blender until flour like (or almond flour)
- 3 TBSP of coconut oil plus some to grease pie pan
- 1 egg
- Cinnamon powder (1/4-1/2 tsp or to taste)
To make the filling:
- 1 (15 ounce) can of pumpkin (nothing added) or approx 2 cups of homemade pureed pumpkin with excess liquid drained
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup of honey (or to taste) – can substitute stevia, but the honey actually helps it hold better
- 1 Tablespoon of pumpkin pie spices or about 2 teaspoons cinnamon and ¼ tsp each of cloves, ginger and nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla
- coconut milk to thin (no more than about ⅓ cup)
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Grease pie pan with coconut oil and mix crust ingredients by hand in a medium sized bowl.
- Press crust into bottom and sides of pie pan and put in the oven while making the filling.
- In the same bowl (no need for extra dishes!) combine the filling ingredients (except coconut milk) and mix using an immersion blender. If you don’t have one of these, use a regular blender or food processor. A hand-mixer will not get it as smooth! It should be smooth and spreadable, but not really pourable. Add coconut milk if needed to thin slightly.
- After 10-15 minutes, remove the crust as it barely starts to brown.
- Pour/smooth the filling over the crust and return to oven for about an hour or until center is no longer jiggly. Will set more as it cooks.
- Top with coconut cream or whipped heavy cream and some chopped pecans.